Manama: His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince, Deputy Supreme Commander and First Deputy Prime Minister, today chaired the weekly Cabinet meeting, held remotely.
The Cabinet extended its best wishes to HM King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, HRH Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa the Prime Minister, His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince, Deputy Supreme Commander and First Deputy Prime Minister, and the Kingdom’s citizens and residents on the occasion of the Eid al-Adha.
The Cabinet underscored the importance for all to adhere to the precautionary measures and social distancing guidelines during the Eid al-Adha holidays, in order to further mitigate the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
HRH the Crown Prince then directed the Ministry of Education to take the necessary measures to prepare for the 2020-2021 academic year for both public and private schools, provided that the choice of in-person or remote learning for students is left to their parents.
In line with HRH the Prime Minister’s directives, the Minister of Works, Municipal Affairs and Urban Planning, and the Minister of Housing were commissioned to visit the Dair and Samaheej villages to assess and follow up on housing needs and requirements.
The Cabinet went on to extend its best wishes to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, regarding the King’s recent successful operation. The Cabinet wished the Saudi King further health as he continues to lead Saudi Arabia towards further progress and prosperity.
The Cabinet further wished the Amir of the State of Kuwait, His Highness Shaikh Sabah Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, good health and a speedy recovery.
The Cabinet extended gratitude and appreciation to the leadership and government of the United Arab Emirates for their strategic cooperation with the Kingdom across a number of sectors, particularly their coordination on efforts to combat COVID-19, and providing the Kingdom with medical equipment, medicines and scientific research.
Following the meeting, the Cabinet Secretary-General, HE Dr. Yasser bin Issa Al-Nasser, made the following remarks:
A number of submissions, memorandums and proposed laws were discussed during the meeting.
The Cabinet outlined the following outcomes:
- In line with the directives of HM the King to unite national efforts to counter the repercussions of the global spread of COVID-19, and to ensure the safety and health of Bahraini citizens and residents whilst ensuring the continued provision of government services aimed at supporting sustainable development, and following the decisions made by the government, led by HRH the Prime Minister, and in support of national efforts led by HRH the Crown Prince, the Cabinet decided to exempt subscribers of electricity and water services from citizens in their first household from paying municipal fees for a period of three months starting from July 2020.
- The Cabinet approved a recommendation submitted by the Civil Service Council, chaired by HRH the Crown Prince, on the restructuring of the Horse Care Affairs Authority, by establishing two directorates and determining the rank of the CEO position.
- The Cabinet approved a recommendation submitted by the Civil Service Council, chaired by HRH the Crown Prince, regarding a decision to organize shared services at the Ministry of Finance and National Economy. The draft decision outlines the mechanisms and procedures for organizing employee affairs in the financial services sector, including the mechanism for mandating and payment of salaries and job benefits as well as regulations on reviewing the administrative organization of financial resource departments across government agencies.
The preparation of this decision is in accordance with the provisions of the Decree to Reorganise the Ministry of Finance and National Economy No. 1 of 2019.
- The Cabinet approved a memorandum on the exchange of information regarding refugees and asylum seekers between the Kingdom of Bahrain and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
The memorandum aims to enhance cooperation and exchange of experiences and information regarding refugees or asylum seekers who are proven to be residing within the Kingdom in accordance with the national legislation of the Kingdom of Bahrain, and was recommended by the Ministerial Committee for Legal and Legislative Affairs, presented by HE the Deputy Prime Minister and Chairman of the Committee.
- The Cabinet approved a recommendation submitted by the Ministerial Committee for Financial and Economic Affairs and Fiscal Balance on working according to the current mechanism regarding the construction projects budget for the Ministry of Education, which was presented by HE the Deputy Prime Minister and Chairman of the committee.
- The Cabinet referred a periodic report to the Ministerial Committee for Legal and Legislative Affairs on the work of the Coordination and Follow-up Committee between the Kingdom of Bahrain and the agencies of the United Nations, submitted by the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- The Cabinet referred the Fifth National Telecommunications Plan, submitted by the Minister of Transportation and Telecommunications to the Ministerial Committee for Legal and Legislative Affairs.
- The Cabinet referred to the Council of Representatives a Draft Law with a memorandum on the government’s opinion on a proposal of a law submitted by the Shura Council to amend some provisions of the Law on the Promotion and Protection of Competition promulgated by Law No. (31) of 2018.
- The Cabinet approved a proposal to provide masks and sterilisers to institutions and companies, and to ensure the government oversees the process to prevent misuse, represented by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism.
- The Cabinet approved two proposals related to the repatriation of citizens abroad and facilitating treatment needed through the measures taken by the government to repatriate all Bahraini citizens abroad who wish to return to the Kingdom.
In the item of Ministerial reports, the Cabinet reviewed a report submitted by HE the Minister of Shura and Council of Representatives on the outcomes of the 20th Meeting of the GCC Ministerial Committee Following up the Implementation of the GCC Joint Work Decisions, held remotely.
Source: Bahrain News Agency